The Beast. A 36" wood bodied Jointer Plane
July 25, 2013 5 Comments
With a little motivation from Mos I decided to build the wooden jointer I’ve always wanted to build. I’m not sure why, I guess just because its there, but I’ve restore a lot of wood bodied jointers and always wanted to build one.
I had some reclaimed oak that fit the bill fine. This is the same stock I built my deadman out of.
Since it was already semi clean it was just a matter of running it through the planer and cutting it to size. Its just about 1/2” wider than the iron/chipbreaker.
I had found a perfect 2 5/8” Moulson Bros vintage iron and chip breaker.
Next up was the layout. Its marked for a 50 degree bed. I was kind of copying another jointer which had a 50 degree front face as well, so that’s what I used.
Cutting was fairly simple with the layout done. Just remember where to not cut to deep.
A little chiseling and rasping and it was ready for a trial fit.
With close to a perfect fit, I glued it up and left it for the night.
While the glue was drying I did a rough out of the wedge.
Not wanting to go much farther on the wedge, I turned my attention to the tote. I marked out a piece of oak a little over an inch thick, cut it out on the band saw. Drilled the center in a couple places and finished hogging it out with the jig saw.
I then hit the appropriate areas on both sides with a 1/2” round over bit. From there it was multiple rasps to get it into shape.
That was it for the day. The following day I turned my attention back to the body. A little hand plane work, and some belt sanding, it was really starting to take shape.
It was then time to clean up the mouth area.
And of course cut the groove for the chip breaker screw.
Final fitting and shaping on the wedge
And back to see where the tote looks good
I then drilled it out with a forstner bit and chiseled as needed.
A little more fitting on the handle and fit it to the plane.
I just couldn’t go any further with testing it.
I’ll call it a success I think.
And I tested it out on oak as well. I was really just playing at this point.
Just a bit more sanding and a coat of BLO.
Final length is just a little under 36”. 36” is quit long and a little hard to handle. I just couldn’t bring myself to cut it. It will be great for flattening big bench tops. And I like to just stand back and admire it.
I had to reshot some of the pictured when I realized the plane swap plane was in the picture. Almost gave it away!
Thanks for stopping buy.