Sanding blocks made from Stanley plane parts.

I hate to throw anything away. I figured someday I’d think of something to do with the broken hand plane pieces.

These are all from un-restorable bases. Most of the knobs and totes are from pieces bad enough I wouldn’t put them back on a plane. I’m glad I found a use for them.

The largest one has an Ash inlay and I added a Ash tip to the broken rosewood tote. The front can be held similar to a wood bodied plane and seems very comfortable to use.

On the first small one I made a 1/4” x 20” brass nut out of some barstock similar to the Stanley, but in using it I found I grab around the knob so the rest I just used a wing nut. My hand never rode against the wing nut.

Next is a cherry tote with some defects so I didn’t want to put it on a regular plane. I made a blank brass filler to fill the hole.

I probably could have also used this badley repaired (no it wasn’t my repair) tote, but while the real was glued up, I used this for its trial.

A front view before final sanding. The Ash inlay was epoxied into the plane.

Thanks for taking a look!

Advertisements

About Don
A tool nut, hand plane collector, restorer

4 Responses to Sanding blocks made from Stanley plane parts.

  1. Tim Charles says:

    This is a great idea. I have a stanley 220 that has a broke piece on it. I might try to do something like this.

  2. Dave says:

    I love this idea. I have a a few donors that might go down this path as well.

  3. Can’t wait to see your version Dave.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: