A type 14 Stanley #5C restored.

I don’t have any before pictures, because this beauty came with a type 20/21 frog with the folded lateral, so I wasn’t even going to do anything with it. I changed my mind more just to see how much work it would take, since it was a jack anyhow, I figured it would be ok. I thought it was strange that it had rosewood, but I didn’t think to hard on it.

On closer inspection though, I found this wonderful type 14. Based on the broken tote tip, I would say it was dropped and the original frog busted.

I had the correct frog, so its all back to normal now.

I didn’t do the tote repair, its an old repair which seems very solid. I just sanded it out and refinished, leaving the history intact.

IMG_20141220_140732035_HDRIMG_20141220_140740560_HDRIMG_20141220_140807777_HDRIMG_20141220_140816664_HDRIMG_20141220_140918158

Check out my tools for sale…..

Advertisements

Another weekend of some Flea Market finds.

So I had kind of an odd weekend. I found out even flea markets are pricey in CT. The Elephants trunk was a bit of a bust. Prices were way out of norm for me. I did managed to squeak out one Sargent block. Maybe a #306? $5.

I always do well at stormville though.

I picked up a type 17ish #7 in great shape, a type 11 #5c, an earlier #4 that needs some love, a Sargent #415 that needs a lot of love, and a Nice #2 (Orange frog).

The new #2. This is after some quick clean up and sharpen after I got home. It was an odd situation. There were 3 tables together, the first had a bunch of rusty old #5s, #4s and some no names. Broken totes, rusty, nasty, my kind of finds. How much for the #5s I asked. $20 was the reply. I said, “really, they need a lot of work”. $20 came again. “The rest, are they $20 to”. “Pretty close” was the answer. Ok, nothing here for me, move on to the next table, which I think is the same group of guys. Well, apparently they had different selling styles. A #2. A sticker says $125. I look at it a bit and set it down. I hear a voice, $75 for the plane. I pick it up again. Look it over. Do I really want to spend $75? Its a later type, maybe 15 or 16. I set it down again. “Well, make me an offer” the guys says. Well he asked. $50. Oh no I can’t do that. “I understand” I say and set it back down. I turn to walk away. $65 I hear. Ok, he hit my magic number. I’m going home with a nice #2.

Then an antique shop in Milford we usually stop at. It not a plane kind of place, which explained the lower kind of price I guess.

All-in-all a fun weekend and a few decent finds, some I’ll flip and hope to give another woodworker some good deals, some will stay in the shop. The #2 and the #112, stays in the shop, and the Sargent block; well I’ve grown an unhealthy liking for Sargent blocks. The sickness grows.

New knob for a Stanley #1

There is a tool dealer I run into almost every flea market I go to. We often spend a lot of time talking tools and he’s help me find new places to pick. He’s really not a woodworker, and he doesn’t restore, just cleans them up typically. He mentioned he had a Stanley #1 that was missing the knob. So I turned him one. Here it is on my #1.

Not really a Handyman #3

This was bought on ebay as a handyman #3

As I started stripping it and as it unfolded I became a bit confused. Having never had a Handyman before, it took a while to sink it. I have what appears to be a type 5 – #3 with a handyman cap and a type 10 or 11 v shaped logo iron. SWEET.

Just find a cap of the right vintage, and now it looks better.

Saving the Stanley #48

After a lot of looking I finally purchased a Stanley #48. As many of you know, I look for the rust. Here is how it came.

WP_001938

WP_001939

 

So the first thing I did was soak it in evapo-rust. I was hoping the soaking would loosen some of the screws and parts. I had removed the knob before immersing it in the bath.

WP_001941WP_001940

It soaked over night and in the morning I came out looking like this.

WP_001946WP_001945

 

I took it completely apart and  took to wire brushing all the parts.

WP_001947WP_001952

I hit the brass nut with the buffing wheel.

WP_001950

I then sanded the knob, Starting with 60 grit up through 500.

WP_001951

I laid out the part, sharpened the irons and oiled each piece.

WP_001956

Now I put it all back together.

WP_001957WP_001958

All That is left is trying it out.

WP_001960

After the first run I realized I had the blades in backward. Switched them around and kept on making shavings.

WP_001962WP_001961WP_001963WP_001964WP_001965

One more plane to add to the till.

WP_001966

My Stanley 120 restore.

More Block Plane Articles and restores.

Another block plane I think the adjuster is cool on. I believe this is a Type 2.

A Type 1 has a 5-point star cap and a raised receiver for the front knob. The front knob is made from applewood on a type 1.

I liked the bronze look so I did not repaint it.

WP_001558WP_001559WP_001561WP_001562WP_001563WP_001587WP_001588WP_001589WP_001590WP_001591